January 17, 2007

Getting rid of "Welcome System Account"

I have installed WSS 3.0. To my surprise when I tried to log in the system recognized me as sharepoint\system. The problem is even I log with my company domain credentials wss still recognizes me as sharepoint\system. And there is no domain , or server called "sharepoint" either.

I have crawled the web and tried the following with no success

Checked the application pool accounts and changed them to a wss admin account for all content, config databases wss 3.0 uses.
  • I have changed the domain accounts for the windows services for sharepoint.
  • I have checked the local user groups like IIS_WPG etc, removed my domain name.
  • I have checked the database users and switched them to wss admin account.
  • I have swithed the database owners to wss admin account

None of them worked, till Jukka Paajanen [MSFT] solved the problem suggesting the following command On a machine hosting the central admin web application:

stsadm -o updatefarmcredentials -userlogin "domain user" -password "newPassword"

This did the trick!


Thanks Jukka :)

No comments:

Post a Comment